What you should know about me

09:42 Unknown 0 Comments

Hello and welcome to my blog! I'm glad you've found your way here. You have probably been searching high and low for a decent blog if you suffer from HFI or DFI and love food as much as I do. I know I have, for years; with the emergence of low FODMAP diets, it has become easier. But I showed little interest for recipes consisting of baked chicken, wilted spinach and endless amounts of mushrooms. There is nothing wrong with these items, but I hardly ever eat simply. I am fascinated by the combination of different flavours and textures; for food lovers, cooking is more than just a function, it's a passion. As much as I want to preserve my health, I also want to preserve my figure. I would happily eat buttered gnocchi every day of the week, but I am fairly confident my jeans would feel snug, so to speak!




Snippets of deliciousness.



My main goal in life is to feel my best. I know far too well what an overdose of sugar feels like. Feeling your best when you have been diagnosed with HFI, like me, or DFI truly is an ongoing challenge, and sometimes a struggle. But we just have to keep our chins up and accept that we are exceptions (which make us exceptional. Obviously.) My brother and I weren't diagnosed until I was about 10. My mother spent 10 painful years chasing down paediatricians, witnessing two disgusted, scrunched up little faces each time we were fed baby pots or chunks of fruit, and not being able to put two and two together. Luckily, a single (unrelated) epileptic fit I experienced led my neurologist to pursue a DNA test to figure out what on earth was going on. HFI, or Hereditary Fructose Intolerance, was the answer to our concerns. I wish I could say the diagnosis changed everything for us; it did in some respects, I now understand that my natural aversion for sugar is the result of a deeper underlying cause (i.e. the absence of the enzyme adolase B, which breaks down fructose) and annual liver function tests, blood tests and check-ups with my dieticians insure that I am as healthy as possible. The days of unexplained illness have long gone and I am feeling better than ever! It is also easier to explain my condition when I need to; the emergence of all sorts of intolerances and allergies has led to stricter laws in the UK; anywhere serving food must have a full list of ingredients for all their dishes. Unfortunately, food shopping and eating out is becoming harder and harder with the development of 'fast foods'. As a general rule,  I stay away from packaged goods, but it isn't always convenient (pesto, anyone?).  I have made it my mission to provide other followers of a low-fructose diet the necessary resources to live a happy life, relieve boredom, provide inspiration and support!

I would just like to finish off with a word of caution: although being diagnosed with HFI puts us all in the same box, listen to your body. We are all different, and manifestations of an exposure to fructose will vary from one person to the next, as will their severity. I experience nausea and extremely uncomfortale bloating several hours later; I know these symptoms are signs I have had fructose. Experiment and test as much as you can, within your own limits. Test some of the safe recipes on my blog, they are always introduced by guidelines depending on how severely you are affected and how to adapt them! Happy eating, HFIers!


What would you like to see on this blog? Drop me a comment,  I would love to know!

0 comments :